For commercial use the business needs to be a registered company in Oman Any company may own any number of names with the .com.om
Domain Name Regulation in the Sultanate of Oman
Supervision by Oman Network Information Center (OMnic)
This document outlines the regulation codes for registering domain names under the .OM Top-Level Domain.
1-1 OMnic administers the name space for the Sultanate of Oman top-level domain (OM), under which a number of second-level domains exist.
1-2 The OM domain hierarchy is based on general category of organizations. The following are their definitions:
COM.OM: Commercial Company, trading company, registered at the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the Sultanate of Oman
CO.OM: Commercial Company, trading company, registered at the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the sultanate of Oman
EDU.OM: Educational institutions, e.g., universities and colleges, registered at the Ministry of Higher Education of the Sultanate of Oman.
AC.OM: Academic Organization (e.g. university, college), registered at the Ministry of Higher Education of the Sultanate of Oman.
SCH.OM: elementary schools, secondary schools, and high schools with valid licenses from Ministry of Education.
GOV.OM: Government Departments and Ministries of the Sultanate of Oman
NET.OM: The NET.OM domain is provided as an alternative to registering in the .net domain. This domain is intended to hold only the computers of network providers that are the NIC and NOC computers, the administrative computers, and the network node computers, registered at the Ministry of Transportation and communications or registered at Oman Telecommunication Company.
ORG.OM: Non-profit organizations, registered at Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour and Vocational Training.
MIL.OM: The MIL.OM domain is used by all Ministry of Defense establishments.
MUSEUM.OM: for Museums
BIZ.OM: Commercial Company, trading company, registered at the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the Sultanate of Oman
PRO.OM: for Professionals, and Professionals Association.
MED.OM: Hospitals and medical clinics with valid licenses from Ministry of Health.
1-3 OMnic registers domain names on first come, first served basis.
1-4 In addition to first come first served approach (registering under com.om or co.om) OMnic will continue to require that a domain name be an obvious derivation of the official name of the Applicant, one of its registered trademarks, or represents one of its activities. It can only be one of the following forms: English translation, transliteration, or abbreviation of the Applicant name, trademark, or activity description.
1-5 If the requirements in statement 1-4 can not be met by the Applicant and the Applicant still wants to register the requested name, the Applicant must certify that, to the best of his knowledge, the requested domain name does not infringe upon the right of any third party in any jurisdiction with respect to trademark, service mark, trade name, or any other intellectual property right. Otherwise, the Applicant runs the risk of having to relinquish the name to the proper owner when needed. It is also the Applicant’s responsibility to secure a trade name or such to protect his right to the chosen name.
2-1 A new Applicant should register a domain name by on line registration process at the following location: Registrations.
2-2 The Applicant should submit by Postal mail a letter requesting the domain name registration and it must be on an official letterhead and it is possible to submit his letter by hand.
2-3 For-profit entities requesting names under the "co.om", "com.om", "edu.om","ac.om" "sch.om", or " biz.om" domains should submit a copy of their legal documents (e.g., commercial registration, license, trade mark registration, …)
2-4 For all others, a copy of any official documents showing the relationship between the proposed domain name and the name of the organization is required.
2-5 Domain name applications are kept in a pending state until required documents (e.g., registration letter and Commercial Registrations from Ministry of Commerce and Industry) are received from Applicant within two weeks from the reception date. If no such documents are submitted within this period, OMnic will send message to request the missing information or documents. If nothing is received within a week, OMnic will reject the request.
2-6 In addition to the above, registering a domain name requires at the time of application that Applicant should have arranged at least two operational domain name servers to the domain name in question. Such domain name servers may be arranged through third party providers (in case of without hosting). One of them is the primary name server and the others are secondary name servers. All need permanent IP connectivity to the Internet. Each domain name server must be capable of receiving queries for the domain name and responding there to.
3-1 One of the following should be true for an Applicant requesting domain name registration under .OM domain:
3-1-1 physically in Sultanate of Oman,
3-1-2 belongs to an entity registered in Sultanate of Oman, or
3-1-3 belongs to an entity that provides goods or services physically in Sultanate of Oman.
3-2 The Technical Contact for the domain name in question could reside anywhere; however the Administrative Contact should be physically resides in Sultanate of Oman and he has a stable place.
3-3 OMnic has neither the resources nor the legal obligation to screen requested domain names to determine if the use of a domain name by an Applicant may infringe upon the right(s) of a third party. Consequently, as an express condition of the grant of an Applicant's request to register a domain name, Applicant represents, agrees and warrants as follows:
3-3-1 Applicant's statements in the application are true and Applicant has the right to use the domain name as requested in the Application.
3-3-2 The use or registration of the domain name by Applicant does not interfere with or infringe upon the right of any third party in any jurisdiction with respect to trademark, service mark, trade-name, company name or any other intellectual property right.
3-3-3 Applicant certifies that, to the best of the Applicant’s knowledge the domain name is not being registered for any activities not permitted under the Sultanate of Oman law.
3-3-4 Applicant agrees to inform OMnic of any changes, amendments or corrections to the information related to the domain name.
3-3-5 Applicant agrees not to register domain names for the purpose of selling them later to other entities.
3-3-6 OMnic authorize to revoke all domains owned by the violating body immediately.
4 DOMAIN NAMES
4-1-1 Domain name format:
4-1-1-1 A domain name is not case sensitive.
4-1-1-2 A domain name should be at least 2 and no more than 24 alphanumeric characters per name within the following character sets only: "A" - "Z", "0" - "9", and "-".
4-1-1-3 The first character should not be "-".
4-1-1-4 The following characters are specifically excluded "_" and "/".
4-1-2 registering a domain name does not confer any legal rights to that name.
4-1-3 Generic names (e.g., www, internet) and famous people will not be registered under any domain unless for authorized entities those officially represent the corresponding names.
4-1-4 Family names will not be registered under any of second level domains.
4-1-5 Domain names must not contain obscene words.
4-1-6 if the domain name violates the Omani traditional community, OMnic then will revoke that domain immediately.
4-2 DOMAIN NAME CONFLICTS
4-2-1 any disputes between parties over the rights to use a particular domain name are to be settled between the contending parties using normal legal methods. OMnic exempts itself from all responsibility for the verification of rights to a name. OMnic cannot act as arbiter of disputes arising out of this kind of conflict.
4-2-2 OMnic will not be liable for any interruption of business, or any indirect damages of any kind (including losses of profits) or otherwise.
4-2-3 Registration of a pending application for a disputed domain name will be suspended by OMnic in case of a conflict with another pending application or an already registered domain name until the conflicting registrants present a signed and written settlement of the conflict.
4-2-4 Acceptance of an application and registration of a domain name by OMnic does not endorse approval or support to submitted names of natural or legal identities, trade-names or trademarks.
4-3 APPLICATION REJECTIONS
4-3-1 OMnic will notify Applicants of acceptance, rejection or modification, by fax or email.
4-3-2 OMnic reserves the right to reject any domain name to be registered as it deems necessary and without mentioned .
4-3-3 Reasons for OMnic to reject domain name applications, other than format, may include:
4-3-3-1 Incomplete entries in the application form,
4-3-3-2 Lack of proper documents,
4-3-3-3 Applicant has no legal right to the requested Domain name,
4-3-3-4 Domain names which are identical with an already registered domain name, or
4-3-3-5 Domain names which are not identical with Omani traditional community.
4-4 MODIFYING REGISTRATION INFORMATION
4-4-1 Modifications are done only to Administration contact, Technical contact and server information.
4-4-2 Request to make any such modifications MUST come from the Technical/ Administrative Contacts with some additional measures taken to verify information for security reason.
4-4-3 the spelling of a domain name is not considered modification. If a domain name with different spelling is needed, a New Domain Registration Form for the new domain name must be submitted and a delete request for the old domain name also must be submitted in separate forms.
4-5 TRANSFERRING A DOMAIN NAME
4-5-1 Domain names are non-transferable once registered to an entity unless said entity is bought out or merges with another entity. If an entity is dissolved, the domain names owned by that entity will be deal located.
4-5-2 Registering domain names in the attempt to sell them later to other entities will result in all domains owned by the violating body to be revoked immediately.
4-5-3 the only way to transfer a domain name from one organization (Registrant/Applicant) to another organization (Registrant/Applicant) is done in two steps:
4-5-3-1 the current domain name holder sends a request to delete the domain name.
4-5-3-2 The new Applicant/Registrant for the domain name should submit a new Domain Registration Form to register the domain name. OMnic does not guarantee the availability of the domain name for the new Applicant. It will follow first come first served approach for registering this domain name.
4-6 DELETING A DOMAIN NAME
4-6-1 to delete an active registration of third-level domain names from the database, a written request should be sent to OMnic. The request MUST come from the Administrative Contact with some additional measures taken to verify information for security reasons.
4-6-2 Deleted entries of third-level domain names will become available for reuse by other applicants.
6 DOMAIN CONTACTS
There are must be an administrative contact and a technical contact for each domain. Notice that the administrative contact must be physically resides in the sultanate of Oman.
6.1 DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT:
The administrative contact is the person who should be able to answer questions about administrative issues of a domain, i.e. addresses of other persons in the domain, domain name, location, financial information, etc. NOTE - Administrative contact MUST be a person authorized by the organization/company applying for the domain name.
6.2 DOMAIN TECHNICAL CONTACT:
The domain technical contact is the person who is responsible for the technical aspects of maintaining the domains name server and resolves software and database files. This person keeps the name server running and interacts with technical people in other domains to solve problems affecting his domain.
REGISTRANT/APPLICANT AGREES THAT OMnic WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF REGISTRATION AND USE OF APPLICANT/ REGISTRANT’S DOMAIN NAME, OR FOR INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, OR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING LOST PROFITS) REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION WHETHER IN CONTRACT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF OMnic HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
1. INTRODUCTION. In this Agreement ("Agreement), "you" and "your" refer to customer ("Customer") and "we"," us" and "our" refer to OMnic ("Oman Network Information Center"). This Agreement explains our obligations to
you, and your obligations to us in relation to your use of our services. By selecting OMnic Service(s) you have agreed to establish an account with us for such services.
2. SECURITY. When you register a domain name with us through our online application process, you are responsible for a security to protect your domain registration records (including your contact records and host records) from unauthorized changes.
3. VARIOUS SERVICES. Paragraphs 1 to 17 are applicable to any and all of the services you have chosen.
4. FEES, PAYMENT AND TERM OF SERVICE. As consideration for the services you have selected, you agree to pay OMnic the applicable service(s) fees set forth on our web site at the time of your selection. All fees are due immediately and are non-refundable. Initial domain name registrations, and domain name registrations that have passed the registrations agreement's anniversary date, must be in paid status to delete, modify, or otherwise to request OMnic to affect the domain name record or to provide domain name services. Domain name registrations in unpaid status are routinely deleted on a regular basis. OMnic may take all remedies available to collect fees owed. Each OMnic service is for a one year terms and it is acceptable for renewal. Any renewal of your services with us is subject to our then current terms and conditions and payment of all applicable service fees at the time of renewal and in the case of domain name registration, the domain name registry's acceptance of your domain name registrations. You agree that you may not transfer your domain registration to another domain name registrar during the period time of your domain from the effective date of your initial domain name registration with us. We will provide you notice prior to the renewal of your services at least (15) days in advance of the renewal date. You agree that if you paid by credit card (initially in connection), you are solely responsible for the credit card information you provide to OMnic and must promptly inform OMnic of any changes thereto (e.g., change of expiration date or account number). In addition, you are responsible for ensuring the services are renewed. Omantel shall have no liability to you, but not limited to, any failure or errors in renewing the services.
5. ACCURATE INFORMATION. As further consideration for the OMnic Service(s), you agree to: (1) provide certain true, current, complete and accurate information about you as required by the application process; and (2) maintain and update this information as needed to keep it current, complete and accurate. We rely on this information to send you important information and notices regarding your account and our services. Our privacy statement located on our Web site at Rules and incorporated herein by reference sets forth your and our rights and responsibilities with regard to your personal information. You agree that we, in our sole discretion, may modify our privacy statement. You agree that, by using our services after modifications to the privacy statement become effective, you have agreed to these modifications. You acknowledge that if you do not agree to any such modification, you may terminate this Agreement with us. We will not process the personal data that we collect from you in a way incompatible with purposes and other limitations described in our privacy statement and we will take reasonable precautions to protect your personal data from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
6. MODIFICATIONS TO AGREEMENT. Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, you agree, during the term of this Agreement, that we may: (1) revise the term and conditions of this Agreement; and /or (2) change part of the services provided under this Agreement at any time. Any such revision or change will be binding and effective immediately upon posting of the revised Agreement or change to the service(s) on OMnic Web site, or upon notification to you by e-mail. You agree to periodically review our Web site, including the current version of this Agreement available on our Web sites, to be aware of any such revisions. If you don't agree with any revision to the Agreement, you may terminate this Agreement at any time by providing us with notice by mail addressed as follows, Attention:
Oman Network Information Center
Oman Telecommunications Company
P.O. Box 194, Al-Athaiba
Postal Code 130
Sultanate of Oman
Notice of your termination will be effective on receipt and processing by us. Any fees paid by you if you terminate your Agreement with us are nonrefundable, but you will not incur any additional fees. By continuing to use OMnic Service after any revision to this Agreement or change in service(s), you agree to abide by and be bound by any such revisions or changes.
7. DOMAIN NAME DISPUTE POLICY. If you reserved or registered a domain name through us, you agree to be bound by our current domain name dispute policy that is incorporated herein and made a part of this Agreement by reference. The current of the dispute policy may be found at our Web Site: Rules. Please take time to familiarize yourself with that policy.
8. DOMAIN NAME DISPUTE POLICY MODIFICATIONS. You agree that we, in our sole discretion, may modify our dispute policy. You agree that, by maintaining the reservation or registration of your domain name after modifications to the dispute policy become effective, you have agreed to these modifications. You acknowledge that if you do not agree to any such modification, you may terminate this Agreement. We will not refund any fees paid by you if you terminate your Agreement with us.
9. NOTICES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS. You authorize us to notify you as our customer of information that we deem is of potential interest to you. Notices and announcements may include commercial e-mails and other notices describing changes, upgrades, new products and services or other information pertaining to internet security or to enhance your identity on the internet and/ or other relevant matters.
10. NO GUARANTY. You agree that, by registration of your chosen domain name, such registration does not confer immunity from objection to either the registration or use of your domain name.
11. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES. You agree and warrant that: (i) the information that you provide to us during the application process to register your domain name or to apply for other OMnic services(s) is, to the best of your knowledge and belief, accurate and complete, and that any future changes to this information will be provided to us in a timely manner according to the modification procedure in place at that time, (ii) use of our service(s) is solely at your own risk. You agree that all of our services are provided on an "as is", and "as available" basis.
12. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT OUR SERVICE(S) WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, OR THAT THE SERVICE(S) WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR FREE. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY REGARDING ANY GOODS OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED THROUGH ANY OF OUR SERVICES OR ANY TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH SUCH SERVICES. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM US SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY MADE HEREIN.
13. RIGHTS OF REFUSAL. We, in our sole discretion, reserve the right to refuse to register your chosen domain name or register you for the OMnic service(s), or to delete your domain name for such services. In the event we do not register your domain or register you for the OMnic service(s), or we delete your domain name or other OMnic service(s), you agree that we shall not be liable to you for loss or damages that may result from our refusal to register; the deletion your domain name or refusal to register you for the OMnic service(s).
14. ENTIRETY. You agree that this Agreement, the rules and polices published by us, the dispute policy and the privacy statement are the complete and exclusive agreement between you and us regarding our services. This Agreement, our rules and policies, the dispute policy and the privacy statement supersede all prior agreements and understandings, whether established by custom, practice, policy or precedent.
15. TRANSFER AND ASSIGNMENT. You don't allow transferring your domain name to a third party, subject to the procedures and conditions found at: Rules, Incorporated herein by reference. Your rights under this Agreement are not assignable and any attempt by your creditors to obtain an interest in your rights under this Agreement, whether by attachment, levy, garnishment or otherwise, renders this Agreement void-able at our option.
16. GOVERNING LAW. You agree that this Agreement and any disputes hereunder shall be governed an all respects by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Sultanate of Oman, excluding its conflicts of laws rules.
17. AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND. By applying for OMnic service(s) through our online application process or by applying for and registering a domain name as part of our application process, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to be bound by all terms and conditions of this Agreement and any pertinent rules or policies that are or may be published by OMnic.